RE: Re: "What's important" - differing play styles

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:19:38 +0100

> > Am I being totally heretical as a GM in saying things
> > like "yes, it probably is quite difficult to get out
> > of Pavis and into the Rubble with that many Lunars
> > looking for you, but since you've got a vague idea how
> > to do it and no-one really cares, let's say it worked,
> > and get on with the story"?
>
> Not at all. The rule is only if its 'fun to do so', if you as the
> GM have a 'bang' to throw in at a critical moment. In fact the
> rules even empower you to let the hero succeed if its something no
> hero would fail at (competence level of the hero factored in).

What I'm doing is more like "well, from the look of the numbers it's at least feasible for you to have succeeded without quite needing a 1v20 roll"

> A GM may even allow the player to narrate,
>
> "yes, I know it is quite difficult to get out
> of Pavis and into the Rubble with that many Lunars
> looking for me, but since I have a vague idea how
> to do it and no-one really cares, shall we say it worked,
> and get on with the story"?

Quite. I leave it up to party choice - if one person *is* interested, they get to play with detailed narration and Numbers.

> > and going back to my "aaargh!", that's in part because
> > I'm just not good enough with words to ever explain
> > things properly in "real time".
>
> Tosh! I always think you explain very eloquently!!
>
> > Not to my own
> > satisfaction, anyway, just at "it'll do" level.
>
> Ahhh. Thats a different matter. We can be our own worst critics!

This has been known, or so I'm told. The word "perfectionist" has even been used. But not by me - I just reckon I should be doing a LOT better than I am.

> > So in F2F gaming, "that'll do" level is all you ever get
> > from me :( Sorry. I'm just inadequate as a player.
>
> Your having a laugh surely??!!! :^D

No. Not at all. And there's no way I'd try to F2F GM, I can't think on my feet anywhere near fast enough. I can't do NPCs and make them sound different from each other - I struggle with that even when writing them, with time to think. I can't improvise plots fast enough to react to what the players come up with. And doing competent descriptions off the top of my head - forget it. I'll stick to PBeM, and I'm not too sure I'm even coping with that.

> > I should practise more....
>
> Oh I get you!! Yes more practice required Jane!! F2F gaming at
> least once a week!!! Can't have to much gaming eh? lol

(sigh) more than once every six months would be good! How long is it till Tentacles again?