RE: Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:56:56 GMT

In message <20050818064853.JUEO23288.aamta09-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>There's a big thick book of the Icelandic Sagas on the shelf that I think I
>managed to wade through to the end of. And the Orkneyinga Saga somewhere.
>Can't tell you what or who any of them are about, nothing at all stuck in
>memory.
>
>> Egil
>> (not surprisingly) is a major character in Egil's Saga. Njall and
>> his pal Gunnar in Njall's Saga. And while women don't go adventuring,
>> there are strong female characters in Laxdaela Saga.
>
>OK, will try to track them down. Maybe it's going to be like beer. I
>thought for years that I didn't like the stuff. It turned out that
>what I didn't like was *cheap* beer.

A lot probably depends on the translation, the first translation of Welsh mythology I read was absolutely dire from a readability point of view. Yet properly written they're good stories. There seem to be three types of translation - children's (simplified and censored), academic (accurate for words and/or rhyme) and adult fiction (accurate for story but with modified language).

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/