RE: Re: Humakti as teen-Goth - bronze v. RW iron

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:44:08 +0100

> > Due to the limitations of RW
> > bronze, which happily Gloranthan Bronze does not
> > share. It behaves much more like RW iron, remember.
>
> Really? Interesting! I thought Gloranthan bronze was called bronze
> because it was like real world bronze, likewise iron. After reading
> the Boudicca series by Manda Scott I have paid a little more
> attention
> to meturlurgical matters, but following on from what your
> saying, what would Gloranthan Iron be like??

More like steel, as I understand it. I'm talking soft iron here, which isn't as good as the mild steel we take for granted today. Those wonderful pattern-welded swords were an attempt to get the iron of the period a bit closer to todays steels, it wasn't just a case of making them look like they had snakes living in them.

> Have you got a reference for this debate? Is it on the digest?
> Publication?? I know you somewhat of an ancient weapons expert, is
> this based on personal experience?

Erm.... It's something I've known and taken for granted for years, like ducks smoking cigars, so where I first found out about it....

And no, I'm not an expert, just interested.

I *think* the logic is that this "bronze" metal is used to make broad-swords, full plate, and mail shirts. Full plate in the fifteenth-century sense, that is, not the Trojan. RW bronze can't do any of this - well, not properly. It's too heavy, too soft, and won't take an edge well enough. That's why Bronze Age swords were shorter, even those gorgeous little Minoan rapiers (which had a cross-section with a spine, IIRC, so as to strengthen them, something you don't see again until Three Musketeers time). Trojan "plate" armour was a collection of big bronze plates, sort of like wearing a bronze dustbin. Incredibly heavy. I suspect much of the effect was "if he can wear that lot and still stand up, he's tough!"

Heortling technology, at least, is roughly Iron Age, not Bronze Age. With a paint job. Western technology is later-period yet, complete with Malory knights. And you just can't do that with RW bronze.