Re: Harrek similar to Conan

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:29:33 +0000

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:11:27 +0000, David Ford wrote:

>>>PS Harrek is a hero in the same sense that Conan (another killing
>>>machine) is a hero (or even Harald Hardrada, the landwaster).
>
>I would have to heartily disagree.
>
>Conan is a noble savage, a man of honour, passion, chivalry, and integrity,
>despite being a thief, pirate, brigand, mercenary,
>(and later a king). Despite being the greatest adventurer of the Hyborian
>Age, Conan has no magic powers, no super-
>powers, no mortal worshippers, or bound god giving him powers, no ability
>to fight gods (not in the Gloranthan sense
>anyway), he can't heroquest. He far closer to being a normal person like
>you and me, than being similar to Harrek.
>
>If Conan was transported to Glorantha he would probably not survive long,
>superb fighting skills, but zero magical/spiritiual/
>whatever defences or attacks. Anyhow I am going off topic, the key point is
>Conan's personality is nothing like Harrek's.
>
>I remember in early 1980 when my group was happily playing RuneQuest 2
>(awesome game) that some of the players
>reckoned that their Kyger Litor Rune Lords could kill Conan. While I
>disagreed with their opinions, I did think that any minor
>Gloranthan monster or hero, would make mince meat out of poor old Conan.

Never having actually read any Conan prose I may be unduly influenced by the 1970's comic books, but...

In the comics Conan is forever being jumped by sorcerer types who think they can take him. And they can't. Conan definitely has Unbreakable Willpower in the W3 region, to go with comparable fighting skills. Those monsters may look good on paper, but when they go toe to toe with Conan, they're going down.

>I think Greg said that Harrek is a demigod of destruction. I can imagine
>mothers using the name Harrek across the continents
>of Glorantha to frighten their children to be 'good' - other Harrek will
>get 'em. Hmm, I think someones said that before me, not
>sure now.

Very credible.

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"