Re: Re: Ideas needed...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:17:27 GMT

In message <dhlecu+5qhe_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>And I would contend that she is a 'townie deity', thus her presence in
>Apple Lane can be retrofitted without entirely disgarding the out
>dated settlement (at least those of us who are sentimentally attached
>to the old hamlet! :^D )

I don't agree that Uleria is a 'townie deity'. The way she appears in Apple Lane with her own temple and full time priestesses was always an anomaly in a small village. However there's a reason why prostitution is described as the oldest profession - it's always existed. The Orlanthi have lawyers so they'll have prostitutes. The extent to which they are tolerated is debatable but they will exist.

Now my view is that the average Ernaldan will regard them as a necessary evil - an outlet for sexual passion which might otherwise cause even more trouble. If a man visits an Ulerian it is between his bloodline and his wife's. If a man seduces a married woman that's three or four bloodlines involved and the potential trouble increases proportionally. Indeed if a man seduces his brother's wife that's likely kinstrife. Of course if a woman finds out her husband is visiting the local Ulerian she'll probably not regard it so practically.

How many Ulerians are there? I can't see more than one or two part timers per clan. The one's in Apple Lane are probably the only full timers in the area. So "a visit to Apple Lane" is probably a source of sniggers and knowing winks.

>Hey, maybe the Uleria temple is a 'branch' of the a temple in Boldhome
>and is frowned upon! Maybe its some insidious Lunar plot?

That sounds good, we know Gringle is a rebel so the idea of a Lunar presence there creates lovely plot.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/