Re: Apple Lane

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:08:05 GMT

In message <di059d+noqa_at_...> "roger5036" writes:

>In fact it is precisely this tendency for duplication that led
>medieval scribes to add suffixes like 'Magna' and 'Parva' to
>village names.

If you ignore such suffixes there are towns with the same name less than 25 miles apart. e.g. Ashton-under-Lyne and Ashton-in-Makerfield.

>Thus it would not at really surprise me if there was more than one
>place called Apple Lane in Sartar/Heortland - although I'd hardly make
>a big deal about it, as there is only one that is weird enough to be
>worth a visit.

Yes, if you consider how names originate there is absolutely no reason why each tribe should not have an Apple Lane. In some cases different clans in the same tribe could use the same name. People name things to distinguish them from other things they know and the average Heortling neither knows or cares about much beyond his tula.

It's a modern idea that place names should be unique over a large area. I can remember the fuss when the city council decided they wanted unique street names within their boundaries to reduce confusion. When the streets were named, mostly in the 19th and early 20th centuries unique within the district was considered enough.

>What does interest me as I am toying with running some of the old RQ
>adventures under HQ, is what happens to Gringle as he would make an
>excellent long-term patron for a roving band of characters.
>
>Wyrms Footprints indicates that he becomes Temertain's eminence gris
>in 1613 but I can't remember seeing any reference to him in any HQ/HW
>publications - however he seems far too important a figure to just
>fade away and play no part in the Hero Wars.

There's some reference to his pawnshop being burnt down by the Lunars, if he survives that he'll be a wandering trader with known connections to the rebellion.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/