Re: Apple Lane

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:21:12 -0700

> >In fact it is precisely this tendency for duplication that led
> >medieval scribes to add suffixes like 'Magna' and 'Parva' to
> >village names.
>
> If you ignore such suffixes there are towns with the same name
> less than 25 miles apart. e.g. Ashton-under-Lyne and
> Ashton-in-Makerfield.

Ignoring the suffixes is a bad thing to do, they are there for a reason (ie, to make sure the towns have "unique" names

> >Thus it would not at really surprise me if there was more than one
> >place called Apple Lane in Sartar/Heortland - although I'd hardly make
> >a big deal about it, as there is only one that is weird enough to be
> >worth a visit.
>
> Yes, if you consider how names originate there is absolutely no
> reason why each tribe should not have an Apple Lane. In some
> cases different clans in the same tribe could use the same name.
> People name things to distinguish them from other things they
> know and the average Heortling neither knows or cares about much
> beyond his tula.

With all the different things one could call "a place where apple trees grow" I'd still be surprised by more than "Apple Lane": Apple Hill, Applehurst, Applemont, Apple Valley, Apple Creek, Apple Dale, Appldore, Appleby, Appletun, Applestead, Applewark, Applemart, Apple Lane Parva, Apple Lane Magna, Apple Lane Regis, Upper Apple Lane, Apple Lane Magna, Apple Lane on the River, Apple Lane sur le mare, Apple Lane under hill...

RR
- Richelieu