Re: Re: Digest Number 2261

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:00:29 GMT

In message <00ac01c5d7a2$57b23de0$f29c9dcd_at_TEST> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>I tend to think of the "Theist" (or Animist, or Sorcerous) religions
>treating each other like the Jews, Christians and Moslems - yes, we
>all have a base of understanding and some stuff in common, but that
>doesn't stop us from hating you.

Funnily enough members of those RW religions don't usually hate each other. Where there is hatred there are usually other factors involved. There's far more antagonism between the different factions in the Anglican church over trivial bits of doctrine than between the different religions. So in Glorantha the real religious feuding is going to be in places like Seshnela where the Rokari church brings charges of heresy over different wordings of services. The Lunar religion may have the same problem with some factions trying to exclude others because they aren't worshiping the goddess correctly.

>Pesonally, I believe the word "religion" was used wrongly (and badly) on
>pages 104-105 - specifically the first sentence that says: "Specialized
>religions concentrate on one form of magic to the exclusion of all others".
>"Religion" should mean "those beings we worship and how we do it", rather
>than "Pure Animism, Theism, or Sorcery". The "Storm Religion" combines both
>spirit *and* divine beings in one pantheon. *IF* I had it to do over, I'd
>make the Theism/Animism/Sorcery distinction a step lower than it currently
>is - not at the religion level, but at the level of worship of a specific
>being in that religion. So in the Storm Tribe we have a ton of people
>worshipping the various gods as thesitic beings, and a handful worshipping
>Kolat as an animist being, and a smaller handful worshipping Serdredosa as
>an animistic being (incorrectly - she is a Goddess). Each being, however, is
>clearly in one or another otherworld. They only give one kind of magic.

OK, that makes Kolat less of an outsider than I thought.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/