Re: Harrek similar to Conan

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:24:16 -0000

> Hmmm. Actually, throughout the old Howard books, he's pretty much
able
> to avoid or defeat sorcery through strong will, "pantherish
reflexes" or
> just plain luck

> I'd say that that's a talent or affinity working

I'd agree there, you don't have to stand chanting, waving your arms around and doing Doctor Strange impersonations to invoke magic. I can't imagine a Yinkini, say, reciting verse before leaping off a cliff (safely), he'd just DO it. Gloranthan theist magic ought to be part of the psyche, not some learned and invoked external force. As such, they become part of the character's own abilities, not a tackedon  separate set. I never did like the idea of all magic (including or excluding sorcery) being visible, at least not blatantly visible AS magic.

Wulf