Re: Lunar CM not cyclical?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:05:42 -0800

I think it's worth looking carefully at the phrase that started this whole discussion:

"...many Common Magic abilities taught by Lunars are *not* Cyclical."

Note the phrase. Not "Lunar common magic", but, rather, "common magic taught by Lunars".

All Lunar common magic is Lunar magic, and (almost) all Lunar magic is cyclical. (There are exceptions--IIRC, Taraltara (or whatever her name is) is not cyclical.)

But not all magic taught by Lunars is Lunar magic.

Say Joe Tarshite is about to go on a journey through nasty territory. He goes to his local Seven Moms missionary and asks if she can set him up with any useful magic. She says, why, sure, I've got two tasty bits for you.

First, here's a charm to ward off madness. Got this from Jakaleel. It's a Lunar charm, from a Lune that lives in the middle world. It acts just like any charm you're used to, but, of course, it's Lunar magic, so it's cyclical. On new moon days, you're on your own.

And second, here's a "find water" talent I picked up when I was preaching to the Sable tribe. This is just a plain, ordinary, Waha talent. Normal common magic. Not cyclical. Of course, I'm planning on bucking for Devotee, and when I do, I'll have to give up all those strange talents I picked up--but in the meantime, I'll be happy to teach it to you.