Re: Lunar CM not cyclical?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:57:23 -0700

> >So some/much of the Common magic that the Lunars teach is non-cyclical,
> >simply because the local beings are not likely to be Lune, but instead
> >Spirits, daimones or Essences.
>
> Not to be argumentative, but if the magic is from the middle world, then
why
> would some of it be prone to the Lunar Cycle, and some not? I mean it
would
> be much more consistent to say that all common magic is not affected by
the
> Lunar Cycle, since it's, well, not Lunar magic.

The magic isn't "from the middle world", it is from an "Otherworld being that lives in the middle world". That is why there is a difference between spells, charms and feats, and why, if you concentrate, you have to give up some of your CM.

Lunes that provide common magic provide *cyclical* common magic. It is cyclical because the Lune is specifically tied to the moon. (Sort of an inherited condition, like brown eyes, or hemophilia).

> Generally there's this sorta "half-way" nature of some common magic.
Talents
> and natural magic are firmly from the middle world, that's clear. But
Feats,
> Charms and Spells seem to have some of the qualities of the otherworlds in
> question. But what is that link? It seems to me largely that it's simply a
> matter of the method of worship. For a Feat you sacrifice and emulate, for
> Charm you ecstatically worship and bind, for a Spell you study and use
> essence as it exists in the middle world.

No, the difference is not because of the way you worship to gain it, at least, not directly. It is because it comes from a Spirit, Daimon or Essence (or Lune, or Darkness Demon, or Chaos Demon, or...). This "Light Fire" charm has a Spark spirit in it. This Light Fire Spell is powered by the Essence of the Campfire, and this Light Fire feat is from ForgeHot, a fire daimon that lives in my hearth. Subsitute "Lune" in any of those descriptions, and the style of magic (Charm, Feat, Spell) remains the same, but the ability is now tied to the moon's cycles.

> For Lunar Magic you...well, there is no common magic form of Lunar Magic.

Well, you're wrong - at least in canon. YGMV.

> Now, it could be that I don't understand what common magic is

I think this is the case, from what you've written above.

> But in no case is any of this obvious or simple.

Here is the relavent bit, HQ 104: - Common Feats, Charms and Spells: "Common magic feats, charms and spells originate with Otherworld entities native to the Mortal World."

> What I'm thinking you're saying is that some Common Magic is "Lunar" like
> some common magic is "feats" and therefore Theist. Which is not the same
as

Nope. Lunar Common Magic comes in Feat, Spell and Charm flavors, just like any other CM. the difference is that they come from Lunes, not Spirits, Essences or Daimones.

> Now some of this is speculative based on what it seems to me we're going
> see from IL2 - we've been told that the Lunars have their own otherworld.
> If, however, it's explained differently there, just say the word and we
can
> table the discussion until we've all got access to what's in it.

The Moon is the Lunar Otherworld. It exists in both the Middle world and the Otherworld - you can physically travel to the moon if you have a high enough "Jump" or "Fly" score.
The Lunar Way (religion) combines the three types of worship (Ecstatic, Sacrificial, Veneration) in their rites. Lunar beings are not Theist, Animist or Sorcerous, they are Lunar. Lunar beings may teach any or all types of magic (depends on the Immortal being worshipped - Jakaleel is "almost pure" Animism and only allows animist magic in her followers, while some of the new gods teach Affinities, alloow access to Spirits, *and* have Grimoires or Formularies, all at the same time).
All Lunar Magic (that provided by a Lunar being) is tied to the cycles of the moon. (The Glowline has effects on this).

Hope this helps.

RR
- Richelieu