Re: Solar Ernalda?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:21:50 GMT

In message <djpmqu+sujb_at_...> "Jeff Richard" writes:

>>There is also a Solar Ernalda who is one of Yelm's concubines and
>>the Yelmalian Ernalda who is the wife of Yelmalio. Both had a
>>fling with the rebel Orlanth but did not marry him.
>
>Ummmm... I don't think that Ernalda is acknowledged by any maintstaim
>Yelm worshipper as anything other than a foreign goddess. Check out
>GRoY if you can. According to the Dara Happans, Yelm is a very chaste
>emperor, having relations with only his lawful wife Dendara.

As Roderick says, Ernalda is a Great Goddess so she must exist in the Solar Pantheon. It may be as Navestos's wife and with a different name but I can't see her complete absence.

Concubine may be the wrong word but I was looking for a term to express "member of Yelm's household and subject to him". Given the size of his household I expect even a god would have difficulty having relationships with all the women.

>Yelmalions believe that Ernalda is the wife of Yelmalio, but they are
>really nothing more than loopy and presumptious Elmal worshippers.

That's Orlanth's view, I'm not convinced Ernalda agrees with him.

>>So I would conclude that an Ernaldan who was married to an Orlanthi
>>would be very unlikely to join a Lunar cult of any sort. Equally
>>there is nothing in the Earth or Lunar cults to prevent Ernaldans
>>joining Lunar cults.
>
>Probably (although I think it depends on the Lunar cult).

True, there are so many that some must object and others are too objectionable for Ernalda to accept.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/