RE: Multiple Initiation

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:13:44 GMT

In message <20051027190121.VPOV26459.aamta10-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> I doubt she'd be happy about a Lunar secondary
>> worship in her follower, but then she is a subcult of
>> Orlanth, and stormy in her own right.
>
>Quite. "Loyal daughter" is one of her titles. You go around beating
>up her dad, she objects. Though it has to be said that the situation
>with the Red Woman in Saird is rather odd...

And Holay. One explanation is that in those places Vinga is not the daughter of Orlanth but some other deity. Or perhaps she's loyal to her mother rather than her father. Major Heroquests can do this sort of thing.

>I think I'd add that everyone has their own way of worshipping
>Ernalda. And if your way is "Ernalda the wife of Orlanth", then
>I doubt if *that* Ernalda will be too keen on any Lunar worship
>on the side.

That's what Orlanth believes and a lot of Ernaldans do as well but I don't think the goddess who's the wife of Orlanth is separate from the one who's wife of any of the other gods. That separation is done by her worshippers who mostly can't cope with a goddess being monogamously married to several gods. The Esrolians are probably closest to the truth when they discard the monogamously bit. But her husbands seem to believe they're the only husband. Did I mention that I think Ernalda is an extremely devious schemer?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/