Re: Visible Magic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:09:34 -0800

> > I never did like the idea of all magic (including or
> > excluding sorcery) being visible, at least not blatantly
> > visible AS magic.
>
> Yes: I lie the idea of many magical effects being visible in an
> almost cartoonish sense (the sword that suddenly expands, though the
> mind boggles at Vinga's Mile-Long Javelin!) but what about magics
> relating to deception?
>
> I suppose one can say that, come to think of it, the trader looks
> guileless and friendly, his voice is soothing and honest. But after
> one passing Issaries has just screwed you over, the next time you
> experience the same effect (or saw it happening to your good friend
> Olav), you might not be soothed and be tempted to smack the deceitful
> trader into the next stead!

If you want to do subtle magic, do it before you try to beguile/hide/whatever.

Magic is visible *when cast*, but not all magic is visible after that. An invisibility spell might be a distinct flash when cast, but then you can't be seen (or a smoke cloud for Ninjas and masters of stage magic).

As a rule of thumb, any magic that is meant to decieve/hide/beguile/etc will be visible for a brief second when it is cast, but probably not visible after that. Most magics will produce a visual effect because the god/spirit/grimoire-writer didn't bother to hide it, or even *wants* the sword to have flickers of lightning running up the blade, or the face of the caster to turn into a devil-mask or whatever. You alwys need to say and/or do something to invoke the magic, Yinkini probably shout the Glorantha equivalent of "Geronimo!" when they leap off the cliff.

RR