Re: Dawn campaign?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:08:12 -0000

Hi Theo

I mean this constructively; if you are the GM and your players are suffering from Glorantha Knowledge burnout, then what makes you think that setting it in the dawn age will remove that? If you are always pumping oodles of Gloranthan esotera into your gaming sessions then changing the time frame is not going to help much. Jeff and Peter have already alluded to the hypothesis that the 'dawn age was an age of idylic simplicity' is not really valid although YGDAMV. What does the average Gloranthan know about life, the universe and everything? What their folks tell them. Thus 'Heroquest Voices' - http://www.etyries.com/voices/ becomes the resource for the GM as well as the players, for what the characters may possibly know.

I would suggest that games focus on the characters and the plot (you know, like who stole the mcguffin) and Gloranthan becomes the (albeit very rich) backdrop.

Another thing that sometimes comes up in my games is when players ask for setting info, I normally brush it aside if its not something their character will know, and maybe chat with them over a few emails later if they are keen to persue it. This way the session doesn't end up with me lecturing the group on Glorantha (I have 4 new to Glorantha players in my group).

So, going back to you original post, I would say that if you want to set a game anywhere then it would be better to use the books available or imminent IMHO. There's Sartar Rising - but you sound like you have done that. Then there is Impirial Lunar Handbook 2 and Trader Princes are imminent and of course, Men of West.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Rob