Re: Re: Dawn campaign?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:46:26 +1300

At 07:48 AM 10/28/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Me> One important thing to notice is that the Dawn doesn't happen
> > everywhere at the same time. Up to about two centuries afterwards
> > some people are still wandering around thinking they are in the
> > Darkness.

>Ok, I'll bite - your joking right?

Frayed Knot.

         The Silver Age is not common to all Orlanthi Cultures.  It occurred
         in the Dragon Pass region, and is part of the larger Unity Council
         Epic that included all the races of that region that survived the
         Darkness.  Outside of the Dawn Age lands of central
         Genertela, the Chaos Age ends only when Lightbringer Worshippers
         from the Unity Council bring their light to beleagured survivors.
                 Orlanth is Dead p16.

In Kralorela, the Sun was visible during the Great Darkness (although they do note periods that it turned black, rained blood etc with distressing frequency) and they believe the Dawn to be the ignorant's barbarians explanation for the ascension of the Saintly Yanoor to the Throne of Kralorela (Glorantha:Intro p195) - either that or the Ascension of Vashanti to become a True Dragon). In Dara Happa, the Dawn probably dates from 111 ST when Kargzant becomes Antirius but our source is known for his unreliability.

I really think the point when the Sun becomes objectively the same is the Sunstop but patches of Darkness may have persisted in Bliss in Ignorance for another four centuries.

>Didn't dawn suddenly break one
>day and spring came all across the world. This is one of the iconic
>moments of Glorantha. Unless you were down a cave surely you would
>have known the big yellow blob in the sky was back?

I think the point is that you couldn't see a big yellow blob in the Sky until you had listened to the Lightbringers, Zzabur or whatever. You could see a pale yellow blob or a bright planet but not the Sun.

>PS: Is this moving into digest territory?

Even worse - it wanders into Sobjectivity territory.

--Peter Metcalfe