RE: Dawn campaign?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:26:50 -0500

>From: "Posselt, Theo (US - San Francisco)" <TPOSSELT_at_...>
>
>I could use some advice and help.� I'm toying with the idea of setting a
>campaign at the Dawn.� Partly this is because my gaming group is
>overwhelmed by all the Glorantha knowledge these days;

>My thought was to start the campaign with the Sunrise, and to have the
>players remember everything before (Darkness, Chaos, etc) as a dim
>confusing dream.� (Mostly this is so that the players don't have to read a
>lot of exposition).�

Here's what I'd do, FWIW. Given what you're saying, I'd just start from scratch. That is, don't use Glorantha, particularly (you can say it's in Glorantha if you want, but no particularly good reason to do that). Just make up everything you need as you need it. For example, let the players define their cultures and how much they "remember" about them as they feel the need to invent it. Including their religions and gods, etc. As narrator you can add things too as you see fit. Simply grow the world to fit your play needs.

This way there's never any referencing that has to be done at all (except, perhaps, to look back at something created earlier in the game). I'm running a game that's similar to this, except that it's not in a "Dawn" situation, but right in the middle of a normal fantasy history. Meaning that we're having to make up everything as we go. Sound like a lot of work? It's not, really. You still have to relate the information to the players - in this case you simply do it without having to look it up first. And it's amazing how people's creativity can just fill these things in without much effort. And enjoyable effort, at that.

What's really cool about this sort of play is that the players, having had a hand in creating the setting, get really invested in the setting. Makes for some intense play.

Just another option to consider.

Mike