Re: What people play

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:13:53 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0511021605040.16187_at_...> Mikko Rintasaari writes:

>Some of you here propably came accross the brilliant mod fantasy-quake
>back in the day. That, and others of it's kind, really made me with I
>had the time and skills required to make a proper Glorantha action game.

>It wouldn't have to be a terribly long or deep game, but it would be
>nice to see one with the Gloranthan flavour, instead of the ever present
>D&D tripe.

Well I've got some of the skills and know enough about the computer games industry to know it isn't financially viable. You are talking about a year or two's work for a team of programmers, graphics artists and actors to make something which matches current standards. It has to be done with a full time team because otherwise the timescale stretches beyond the life cycle of the equipment it's going to run on.

Next you've got to market it and you're marketing against companies with new releases every few months which are similar style but have an established link with games people have already bought. Given that only a minority of the games published make any significant amount of money, what's going to make a Gloranthan one shift enough copies to cover costs?

I'd like to see more Gloranthan computer games but the only way that's going to be done is by taking an available game and adding a Gloranthan theme to it. However you're restricted by the game mechanics and you'll have to do a lot of artwork.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/