Re: Re: What people play

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 01:43:04 GMT

In message <177dc5fd0511042251v693630d9p3f42e65f4bf87b3f_at_...> John Machin writes:

>> ISTR someone doing a mod like that for Civilisation?
>
>Doing it for the newer versions might be easier, in the long run. Civ3
>has a great deal more flexibility than Civ2; Civ4 is apparently
>intended to be extremely flexible with a lot of it being able to be
>customised using one of several fairly straightforward languages.

Depends precisely what you want to do. My approach was 'here's a good game, how do I give it a Gloranthan feel?'. To do that I didn't even look at all the stuff in Civ2 as although it would have allowed more flexibility the chances of unbalancing the game were too high.

The other issue is graphics resolution, the newer versions have higher resolution graphics which means more detailed work. It could be easier to convert existing images but it's definitely harder to create from scratch if, like me, your artistic ability is limited.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/