Re: Re: Saying thank you!

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:29:29 GMT

In message <008801c5e545$97571d20$f29c9dcd_at_TEST> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>> However dialect doesn't usually impede communication, it's just
>> that some words and occassional sentences are incomprehensible.
>> Rephrasing them or speaking slowly solves the communication
>> problem.
>
>The traditional way is to speak s l o w l y and LOUDLY as if the
>person you are talking to is a deaf-mute idiot. It certainbly
>doesn't do your image any good...

That's many English speakers with a completely foreign language which gets the foreigner to look a prat and the local to act stupid. It isn't needed with any English dialect I've encountered. This is more a case of speaking clearly at a normal speed rather than abbreviating and slurring words together as many dialects do.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/