A Wide Open Dawn

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:49:26 -0600

>From: "Posselt, Theo (US - San Francisco)" <TPOSSELT_at_...>

>>Simply grow the world to fit your play needs.
>
>As a GM it seems like a bit of a wimp-out, but on that basis it's also
>tempting!

It's amazing how the perception of this method as either a wimp-out or as tremendously difficult can come from people who have nearly the same play-styles. That is, to some GMs making things up sounds amazingly difficult, and they want pre-existing setting there to support them. Other GMs say that it's taking an easy rout and not providing an objective seeming universe for the players.

Neither objection holds much water in practice. It's both easy and satisfying for everyone I've played with. That includes other GMs using these techniques. Might not be for everyone, but the above objections aren't a reason not to try it. It gives everyone a chance to exercise their creativity muscles.

Mike