RE: Re: dialect/jargon

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:57:02 -0600

>From: "Bryan" <bethexton_at_...>
>
> > Tradetalk at a high level might operate like this,
>
>I think the point of trade-talk is mostly to be the opposite of this.�

I agree, but that's why I said "at a high level." That is, I imagine most tradetalk actually occurs at the default 6 level. But that Merchants should get it at keyword level. Some master merchant with 5W Tradetalk might be able to speak to another merchant in a way to expedite communication, but which would also alienate the casual trade talk person.

Or maybe not, just a theory. Maybe having it at high level might actually make it easier to understand.

>I think the only area where Trade
>Talk has extensive vocabulary and nuanced meanings is with regard to
>commerce, and non users may not understand the exact shades of meaning,
>but most can probably at least take a fair guess.

Like jargon in other cases. This is all I'm saying.

>When it comes to jargon and technical terminology, I think that it is
>inherent in almost every activity.� Ask a skiier about snow conditions,

"Dude, serious case of Sierra Cement today!" says Mike the formerly avid downhiller refering to snow melting down to deep levels, but not running off making turning very laborious (especially without the right wax).

>a knife sharpener about types of stones and steel, or a parent about
>their childrens' moods--they will all have a specialized vocabulary to
>let them precisely talk about these things.�

So you're saying that every ability has related language. Probably part of the ability itself then, yes? No need for additional abilities to be listed.

>I would say that shared skills probably augment language abilities when
>trying to communicate across a language barrier, when talking about
>that skill-

Makes sense.

>On the other hand, for those not having a particular skill, trying to
>understand talk about it is probably a test of language skills.� Do you
>know enough of the words, do you know enough of the uses of other
>words, are you good enough at infering meaning, to make sense of what
>the brewer is talking about, even if you know nothing about brewing?

OK, so Speak Tarshite vs Brewer's level of ability to get what he's talking about? Cool. Augmented by the brewer's level of Speak Tarshite to be able to explain it well?

>So the sailor with low language skills ends up
>repeating slowly and loudly "No, you hitch that sheet to the port
>cleat" while the one with good skills can explain "Oh, take that rope
>and tie it around that sort of bent post over on the left."

So, the speed of the communication is in question. I think this is often the case with such contests. It's not a matter of whether or not the information can be conveyed correctly eventually in many cases (the sailor can watch you do the job and critique on the way), but largely just how long the teaching takes. Rather, contests would be like "Can I learn to sail before reaching the next port?" Which depends a lot on whether or not the sailor is trying to make it hard by using lots of jargon, or trying to use his language ability to make it easier.

Sounds like functional stuff.

Mike