Re: dialect/jargon

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:47:00 -0000

> FWIW, I currently think that Tradetalk is a pidgin language like the
> Chinook Jargon. It dates back to the Storm Age - the Orlanthi claim
> it was invented by Garzeen, I think the Malkioni believe it was
> invented by Kachast and used in his Speaking Tour. It probably is
> derived from a strange mismatch of words from around Glorantha
> (maybe with Heortling and Western at its core).

If you are curious what terms a Tradetalk vocabulary might include, see:

http://chinookjargon.home.att.net/gibbs.htm

A lot of Chinook Jargon vocabulary came from native languages spoken on the lower Columbia River and on east Vancouver Island, two areas contacted early by Europeans that also might have had traded with one another before Europeans arrived. So if there's some plausible long-distance trade route between Orlanthi and Malkioni in the Storm Age, it's plausible that the core of the language would be a mix of those two.

Rob