RE: Re: Saying thank you!

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:47:59 GMT

In message <20051110205645.ECVR2665.aamta10-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> I just don't think it rises even to the level of hand signals
>> developed by some US gangs (which are remarkably sophisticated
>> systems - but outlaw argots tend to be pretty sophisticated, whereas
>> Humakti have no such social need).
>
>They don't?? You don't think a group of social misfits with a tendency
>to violence might have anything in common with gangs?

There's another reason - shared identity. Secret signs and so on which identify which temple or band they are associated with. About the only game use I can think of is that a Carmenian and a Heortling Humatki could satisfy each other as to their shared faith without other ways of communicating.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/