Re: Re: Saying thank you!

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:55:25 +1300

At 03:17 PM 11/11/2005 +0000, you wrote:

> I find Swordspeech to be an
>example of colorless and tedious game logic being imposed on a
>literary world.

I'm unaware of the "game-logic" that requires the Humakti cult to have Sowrdspeech. Moreover this objection appears to contradict what you were previously were saying was wrong with Swordspeech.

>Ironically, even though I game in Glorantha quite
>regularly (every week!), I think I treat Glorantha more as a Borges-
>esque literary setting than as a RPG setting.

I appreciate the effort to raise the tone of this debate by appealing to an august avant-garde author whom most of us have never heard of but for me (and perhaps a few others) the primary inspiration remains one Greg Stafford.

Glorantha is a world in which the Lunars have Moonboats, the Trolls have an airforce composed of trollkin flying giant flies, the Orlanthi have a massive windmill and the Praxians ride many types of strange beasts. In such circumstances, I find the sight of repeatedly denouncing Swordspeech to be the aesthetic equivalent of straining at a gnat.

--Peter Metcalfe