PBEM Game openings: Into Darkest Engiziland

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:38:18 -0800

I'm getting ready to start a new PBEM game, and am looking for players.

The Year
The Forty-Ninth year of the Second Wane (1350 in the old calendar). 230 years ago the Dragonkill exterminated the Invincible Golden Horde. 130 years ago the Goddess was born
30 years ago a ragged band of rebellious barbarians lead by Arim the Pauper fled south beyond the Deathline. It was assumed that they all perished. 3 years ago Hwarin Dalthippa conquered Holay, defeated the Barbarians, and siezed Mirin's Cross.
1 year ago, a nearly-dead barbarian arrived in Mirin's Cross reporting that the Deathline had been breached.

The Place
Mirin's Cross, new home of the provincial government, but still mostly consisting of thatched mud huts and a few half-started Imperial style buildings. Imperial troops patrol the streets which throng with natives from the entire southern Oslir Valley. Badmashes from Holay rub shoulders with wild Aggari tribesmen, who would as soon slit your throat as smile. Priests from a dozen cults preach sedition or peace. The thugs of Umact wage a secret war of assassination against the Empire.

The Expedition
A major expedition is ready to head south across the Deathline. Its goal is to reconnoiter the land of Dragon Pass, closed to humans since the Dragonkill. Rumors about the mission say that the location of Emperor Khordavu's Mines, long lost to the Empire, has been found. Adventurers, scholars and men (and women) of fortune clamor to join the expedition. You are one of the lucky few who have been chosen

The Game
The idea is the exploration of Dragon Pass from the north, without notice of the history of the region as shown in various published sources. Everything that has been published is (most likely) wrong. You've got a map - from the time of the EWF. The heroes are Lunars (or Imperial allies). We need priests, Great Red Hunters, missionaries, military officers, native trackers, lost princes ... The tone of the game is in the spirit of Haggard, Kipling, Burroughs and Howard. Expect lost cities, beautiful native princesses (or handsome princes), strange animals, and the lure of treasure.

I'm planning on actually starting play after the New Year - the American Sacred Time Rituals (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) will be taking up a lot of my time, but I'm certainly willing to look at characters in the meantime. ILH1 will be useful for Cultural information, and I'm perfectly willing to make up keywords out of the whole cloth if needed...

So join up, the Empire and your League need you!

RR
- Richelieu