Re: Chaos Invasions

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:28:15 -0000

I really don't think this is actually what was wanted, but I'll post it anyway to (un)support Jeff's thread. My brief Far Place campaign incorporated two Chaos exsurgencies in the Clan Questionnaire, as backstory. Flavour-text paraphrased from John Hughes.

The Chaos-Breakings, 1449 & 1517

"The foul legions of Chaos surged out of the pit of Ginijji, and broke across the land. Many fell to its beasts, as man, woman and child, beast, tree and wind were slain. But we triumphed, as Rangar Wakes-In-Darkness was guided by the voice of the Storm to an ancient ruin, where he learnt the power to call the Righteous Wind. This dark storm he brought unto his foes, and on the winds rode Black Thunderbird, the Wrath of Orlanth. And Chaos was defeated."

30. What did your clan do in the fight against Chaos?

  1. Our weaponthanes, and many fyrdsmen, were busy in Tarsh, and we could do little but cower behind our palisades as brave Spear Daughters fought the besieging hordes of Broo, and quested to bring us through this dread time.
  2. We feared little, and our ancestors charged into the squirming maw of Ginijji armoured in nothing but woad. They died of course, but it was a death worthy of the greatest songs, and we still tell of their victories against the mightiest of chaos beasts, the dread Walktapi.
  3. Our ancestors girded themselves with the armour of legend and the myths of Orlanth, and strode bravely against the Slime Deer that beset our herds!
  4. By Orlanth, times were hard! Yet we fought with the courage of the Storm. It is said that one of our ancestors slew as many as three Chaos Goats in a single afternoon!
  5. When one of our ancestors complained to the Clan Council that something was devouring his lettuces and sucking the flesh off of his cattle's bones, they were loath to believe him. Yet it was two days and two nights before they'd finally vanquished that Chaos Snail.
  6. One of our ancestors became the talk of the clan when he singlehandedly slew a Jack O'bear and finally let everyone get some sleep. Sadly he was then devoured by an iridescent, amorphous mass of protoplasmic ooze.
  7. My great-great-great-great-great-great-Uncle killed a Hydra with a pitchfork, and that's a fact.
  8. In the First Chaos Breaking, we knew that the swords and spears of the fyrd were no match for the beasts of Chaos, and our greatest ancestors turned to the powers of the Gods. They aided Rangar on his journey, and together we brought the Righteous Wind.
  9. Our greatest fame came in the Second Chaos Breaking, when our glorious ancestors fought side-by-side the brave warriors of the Exiles and Prax, and saved the city of Alda-chur.
  10. We courageously marched against the Tusk Riders, and slaughtered the vile beast-men and their mounts in their horrid temples, remembering well the times they had mistreated our wives and children. What… The Tusk Riders aren't Chaos? Are you sure? Oh well, that was who we fought.
  11. Don't believe anything the other clans tell you. You see, we did fight chaos, quite seriously. We sent a small number of thanes, admittedly, but they were moderately capable. It's just that we saw a chance in this crisis to pursue some grudges against other clans, who were otherwise… engaged. Don't look at me like that! These clans were weak and cowardly, and we had to steal their resources so that we—a strong clan—could better lead the line against the denizens of Snakepipe Hollow!

Results

  1. Attitudes: Especially Hate Broo 17 (Know Broo Lore).
  2. Attitudes: Especially Hate Walktapi 17 (Know Walktapus Lore).
  3. Attitudes: Especially Hate Slime Deer 17 (Know Slime Deer Lore).
  4. Attitudes: Especially Hate Chaos Goats 17 (Know Chaos Goat Lore).
  5. Attitudes: Especially Hate Chaos Snails 17 (Know Chaos Snail Lore).
  6. Attitudes: Especially Hate Jack O'bears 17 (Know Jack O'bear Lore).
  7. Attitudes: Especially Hate Hydras 17 (Know Hydra Lore).
  8. (Know Legends of the Righteous Wind, relationship to Orlanth +1).
  9. (Know Praxian or Exile Customs 13, friendly relationship with Praxians or Exiles).
  10. Attitudes: Hate Tusk Riders 17 (Know Tusk Rider Tactics).
  11. Wealth +1.

Cheerio,

Stu.