Re: Re: Tula Size???

From: CJ <cj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:02:43 +0000

Thank you very much to everyone who responded; I found the previosu threads very useful, and Darran's calculation nased on something I am familiar with, namely Domesday England were evry helpful indeed. My Wintertop village is going to be loosely based on Pictish land settlement patterns i think, but a village of 600 souls can be supported by as little as 30 square miles of rough terrian from what I can see, so I will fudge it to that as that fits the map well. DArran's calculations on the size of steads are excellent; Berkshire is a little flat, but the Sussex downs I believe were not disimilar in terms of settlement patterns. I will grab my Penguin edition of the Domesday Book later and see if it covers any Northern Britih areas like the Pennines - I can't recall off hand...

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! :)

cj x