Re: Re: Digest Number 276

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:48:09 -0800

> > But don't con yourself that Issaries/Greg Stafford is making megabucks
> > out of this project
>
> I never indicated anything of the sort. I expect Issaries, like most other
> small-press RPG companies, is just barely scraping by.
>
> However, being blackmailed to buy a product doesn't make me happy _even if
> it's a product I want_.
>
> Fans shouldn't be expected to blindly buy any product pushed out the door.
> I think it's insulting, and shows a total lack of respect for fans to
> expect them to do so, and to attempt to badger them into submission.
>
> 'Buy or we won't make any more' is a pretty feeble marketing scheme. A
> better course of action would be to encourage fans to spread the news
> about good products in whatever forums are available. Sponsor reviews.
> Post to Internet discussion groups. This sort of positive encouragemetn
> would work better, and treats consumers with the appropriate amount of
> respect.

Issaries isn't blackmailing you. The original suggestion to "buy everything" did *not* originate from an official Issaries source. It isn't the official or unofficial marketing stance of Issaries. Neither Greg nor Stephen (the only two "official" Issaries voices) have said anything like this, and the advice of a fans like Simon, Jeffrey, Jeff, Charles, or even myself should *not* be taken to indicate a Issaries policy.

Fans blackmailing other fans is not something Issaries can control.

Roderick