Re:Lunar Occupation

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:39:48 +0000 (GMT)

>Take a look at Ian Coopers excellent Red Cow work.

Which is not anywhere accessible as yet, but as I have recently had word from Greg on the FPP will be up on a website soon (hopefully before Xmas).

Rob covers most of what has been said in the past. Remember that the incidents that led to Starbrow's rebellion were the Righteous Wind rebellion, when clans tried to expel Lunar missionaries and the attempt to raze the hilltop altar to Orlanth Victorious. These precipitated war, so there is a struggle over freedom of worship in the first decade of Sartar's occupation, a struggle that the rebellious Orlanthi lose. After that Orlanth worship is IMO in secret, to avoid Lunar reprisals. tt&#92;he main affect will be on leaders and other people who deal with outsiders. They must profess a 'tame' faith either from shared subcults (see Dangmar in BA) or multiple initiation into a 'safe' god like Barntar, to decieve the Empire. Anything else would be a provocation to the Empire. I am sure that the odd unlucky stead becomes an example, every time the rebels destroy a supply caravan, with Orlanthi worshippers crucified but otherwise the Empire is content to influence the influencers. Them might make an attempt to disrupt initations. Preventing youngsters from joining Orlanth's religion is one way to eradicate the faith. Initations will certainly be held in secret, if it at all.

My belief is that in the Enslaved clans and tribes many of the leaders have genuinely turned from the religion of Orlanth, and their leaders are not just deceiving the Empire. Within those clans promotion is probably given to those who adopt the Empire's ways and taken from those who continue to worship Orlanth. Leaders then rely on economic pressure to win more converts. Old taboos, like kinstrife, will not likely break fast enough for all but the madmen to convert their kin by 'fire and sword'.

Yahoo! Model Search 2005 - Find the next catwalk superstars - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/