Re: Lunar Occupation of Sartar

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:13:53 GMT

In message <6.0.0.22.2.20051128200550.01f2a8a0_at_...> Dr Stuart Mousir-Harrison writes:

>I'm trying to flesh out some more on the
><http://www.mousir.btinternet.co.uk/RPG/balkoth/index.htm>Balkoth Tribe of
><http://www.mousir.btinternet.co.uk/RPG/balkoth/index.htm>Sartar under
>Lunar Occupation c.1620 and keep running into a number of questions that I
>cannot answer (although I might not be reading enough - I have just about
>everything relevant.)
>
>Just how heavy is the Lunar occupation in Dragon Pass, or conversely, how
>thinly spread are the Lunars?

There's a list of units and their stations somewhere, probably the archives of the Glorantha Digest. In general terms there are substantial garrisons in major towns and cities, smaller garrisons at important places like river crossings and tribal seats, and odd squads wherever the generals think they're needed.

>I know that Orlanth worship is outlawed and a death penalty rests on the
>heads of his priests, but how much can this really be enforced? (And as a
>secondary question what is the status of Vingans in the "enslaved" tribes).
>Are the "enslaved" tribes such as the Balkoth really under heavy military
>domination, or is it more a case that the "hearts and minds" battle has
>been won by the Lunars? (Or at least they instill enough fear to stop a
>major rebellion?)

I don't think this distinction between free and enslaved tribes is half as clear as BA implies. All the tribes have some clans who are hostile to Lunars and others which are favourable to them. Even that only reflects the majority view within the clan and which side the clan supports may have little to do with the Orlanth/Lunar dispute and much more to do with the fact that the clan we've feuded with for generations has accepted Lunar missionaries so we obviously oppose them.

Some clans will provide warbands to assist the Lunar army and that's where the biggest risk to Orlanthi comes from. If a Lunar favouring clan suspects their neighbours have an Orlanthi priest on their tula they'll offer to supply a warband to seize the criminal. The clan sheltering him will be accused of rebellion if they resist and "Oh, while we're here we'll just take back those cattle you stole last season".

Vingans have a bit of a strange status. There are Vingans within the Lunar empire (e.g. they are a major cult in Holay) but the "Daughter of Orlanth" angle is a sign of a troublemaker.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/