Re: A Wide Open Dawn

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:42:45 -0600

>From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
>
>Can you recommend anywhere I can find out more about the "create it as
>you go" method? It sounds very intriguing.

I largely got started down this road to playing this way with a lot more intention (I'd done some small amount of this previous) after reading Ron Edwards' supplement Sorcerer & Sword. That is, all of us here add to Glorantha or whatever fantasy world we play in as a regular part of play on some level. Even if it's just writing up the NPC barkeep of the local tavern. We all have the requisite skills on hand. What we're all generally used to, however, is just using these skills to "fill in the blanks" that the provided materials do not already address.

Well largely all I'm advocating is starting with larger blanks, and simply understanding that part of this sort of play is making up more and more important things as you go along. There are some techniques involved, and other notes that I can give on perspective. But these are pretty much independent of HQ as a game (they can be used in any RPG). So perhaps it would be more on topic to discuss this over at The Forge forum for HQ (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0) or in some other forum there.

The one comment that I can make is that I find HQ to be eminently suitable for this sort of play what with the ability that players already have to tailor things to their characters.

Mike