Re: Crucifixion

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:16:37 GMT

In message <20051201074701.XNHC11396.aamta10-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> I did wonder briefly why Crucifixion was chosen as a method
>> of executing Orlanthi rebels; then I thought about the symbolism
>> of exposing the rebels pinned against the Sky. Unfortunately it
>> struck me that any group of rebels who wanted to rescue their
>> colleagues, or indeed the victims, might call upon the winds to
>> just blow over the crosses that lined the roads? I would have
>> thought burning them, would hav been more suitable?
>
>I've always assumed that nailing them to a Death rune had a lot to
>do with it? I'm not too sure what effect that would have magically
>or mythically, but there's bound to be something.

According to Mark Galeotti's "Crime and Punishment in the Empire" it's a Dara Happen traditional punishment rather than a general Lunar one. In the hot sunny plains of Dara Happa crucifixion is far more of a solar punishment than in the cloudy windy mountains of Kerofinla. I'd say the Dara Happens just ignore the Orlanthi mythology. Who cares what a bunch of barbarians think?

>Making an example is probably another strong point in its favour.
>It's a slow, painful way to die, and very public. Guard them, of
>course, while there'd be any point in rescue. As long as it takes
>to die, plus seven days. (Or given the death rune, maybe that's
>seven days total?)

Could be, the victim counts as dead from the time they are nailed to the death rune and require resurection even though they appear to be alive. After all Humakt gets upset if people who are dedicated to him don't die when they're supposed to.

>I'd assume that disposing of the body the way Orlanthi would want
>it disposed of would be something to avoid anyway as a matter of
>principle?

In which case you bury the bones at the foot of the cross when they fall off. Or before if you need to use the cross again and the rebel wasn't very important.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/