A trek through the Chaos Age

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 06:39:11 -0000

Howdy all -

Here's a log from a recent game session showing a heroquest that ended up going in an unexpected direction. I think this actually happens quite often - most heroquesters don't really know what they are doing and know well only the most common heroquest. When my players decided to perform some lesser or half-understood myth, they ended up going to the wrong place in the otherword and ended up with a completely different myth.

Dorasa[1] offered to perform a Yinkin ritual on behalf of their hunting. She thought of Yinkin's hunting/seduction of Velhara, the Lady of the Wilds. However, we weren't sure exactly what we'd run across when we hunted on the Otherworld.

Korlmhy[2] opened the way to Orlanth's Hall on Protection Day. Unfortunately, we found ourselves in the Chaos Age. Orlanth's Hall was infested by demon dogs, and dilapidated. We tried to sneak away; the dogs barked, and we fled.

We found ourselves in Nightwood. Brenna[3] spotted a shambling army of the dead. She realized it was led by Brangbane, king of the ghouls. We moved away from their howls. We saw a white deer, one of Heort's winter deers. It ran, and we followed, finding ourselves along the Silver Path through Nightwood, which Orlanth had trod during the Lightbringers Quest. It led us out onto a great plain of ice.

We continued to follow the deer, until it finally entered a Vingkotling citadel. The grey doorthane didn't acknowledge the Greeting. He said they acknowledge no laws, for all the laws were gone. "The end of the world has come, and we dare not open the gate lest you be one of the Hidden Kings in disguise." Brenna vociferously denied any connection with kings of any stripe. The doorthane asked if we were of the bloodline of kings. Dorasa, who was in fact related to Sartar through the maternal line, said she was of a great lineage, but not one that the Hidden Kings would consider kings. We were let in to the citadel. Then we returned to the sacred ground.

[1] Dorasa Orlgardssdottir of the Colymar is a Yinkin devotee,
descended from her grandmother's side from the House of Sartar.
[2]Korlmhy Orlgardsson, aka Korlmhy the Priest or the Troublesome,
is Dorasa's brother and a powerful god-talker.
[3] Brenna Harnkorlsdottir is a cousin of Korlmhy and Dorasa.
[4]