Dragonmeet 2005 report [long]

From: Darran Sims <darransims_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:35:50 -0000

Dragonmeet 2005.
Kensington Town Hall, London, UK.
Saturday 3rd December 2005.
http://www.dragonmeet.com/

First off I must apologise to those Dragonmeet attendees that had signed up for my Serenity:HeroQuest games but couldn't play due to the game being over-subscribed. I am sorry for any disappointment and inconvenience this must have caused and I will take great pains for this not to happen again at any future conventions. A design error on my sign-up sheets lead people to believe that I had twelve spaces for names to be written in even though the game was only for six. In my defence I am used to three or four day conventions that have sign-up sheets up for days and where people put their names down for games but often change their minds and scribble out their names, the extra spaces were for other people then to have space to write their own. I have now changed this sheet and I will run my games again next year at Dragonmeet 2006 and at other conventions over the coming year.

I would also like to thank the organisers for a fantastic convention especially Chris who did an outstanding job in organising the games.

I set off from Derby to London very early in the morning, partly to miss all the rush on the Underground but also to help out at the convention venue with the set up and all that. I helped with the load in of all the traders stock and helped fill all the goodie bags. It gave me an opportunity to chat with the organisers and the other volunteers. I also got my table set-up ready and my sign-up sheets on the board.

I was a little nervous about running theses games as I have never ran any sci-fi type games before and I was worried about dealing with the setting of Joss Whedon's `Verse, especially as there are many more people out there who know more about it then I did. I did quite a bit of preparation, writing up the keywords for the Serenity occupations and I getting the character sheets ready. I had chosen to use the crew of the Betty from the film Alien: Resurrection, Joss Whedon's first stab at a misfit crew of smugglers. I had noticed that crew did resemble the core crew of the Serenity in certain ways but they were a little rougher around the edges. I found the descriptions of each crewmember and expanded them to the 100 word descriptions to base the HeroQuest characters on. Gave each character an occupation keyword and most of them a second former occupation keyword. Those that didn't get a second keyword got their main one boosted. I also included on every character sheet a description and stats the ship the Betty.

The characters were Elgyn Captain of the Betty, Sabra Hillard Pilot of the Betty [and Elgyn's better half], Vriess Chief Mechanic of the Betty[and wheelchair bound], Christie the `muscle' of the group, Johner the PR guy [with an ugly temper] and Annalee Call Mechanic and newest recruit to the Betty who has a shocking secret.

As soon as the doors opened at 10:00 I had six players already sitting around my table, cool. Unfortunately six more players turned up as I had messed up my sign-up sheets. It was unfortunate as I had to turn them away, a first for me. I also had more people turning up at the table to ask to join during the game. I didn't know it would be so popular. A similar thing happened at my afternoon game at 14:00.

For both sessions I asked if any players were familiar with Firefly, Serenity or Alien 4. Silly question really as most were very conversant with the setting. I let them pick their characters and I ran through the HeroQuest rules pointing out that I run a fast and loose game. I told them that the best skills were marked with a little `ace of spades' symbol that marks the skill as a mastery. A mastery `bumps' up the success level of a rolled result. I gave them 3 hero points each pointing out that they work like a mastery as when `burnt' they bump up the result of success as well. I also pointed out that I love the smell of burning hero points.

As both groups played they did get into character and used the `verses swearwords. Some even had a smattering of some of the Chinese phrases. They liked the way the HeroQuest abilities included the personality traits and relationships that character had. Several times the called on and used their contacts to get information about the up coming job. The similarities between the Betty characters and the Serenity characters were more evident in play but again this lot were a lot rougher.

During the game I made sure that each character was able to do something. Flying the Betty involved not only the pilot being guided by the captain but also both mechanics to keep it flying with the muscle on hand just in case. And I can tell you they were needed!

The heist went well and the players did adapt to the shocks and surprises I laced the scenario with. With their clever planning they avoided a lot of gun play but the muscle did get to fire some shots and splatter some brains. They managed to complete the job, get the money and survive the drop off. Big climax at the end and a secret revealed.

I was fortunate to have two sets of very good players that made the sessions very much more enjoyable. One of the benefits of doing convention demos is you can get the cream of the crop in play calibre. One was even a referral from one of my former players, Dr Moose. He had been told I was a good GM and he even told me that. Hey, put me under some more pressure please! ;)

The scenario needs a little polish and I am in two minds whether to draw up some deck-plans properly of the Betty and the skyplex or leave it to be a little freeform in style.

Expect the scenario to reappear next year at quite a few conventions including Conception and Continuum.

I am writing up the actual play now and will post that shortly.

By the time the second session was over it was late and I had to get back to the train station as the trains heading up north were having delays. Missed the charity Auction and the breakdown of the con. I did try to have a look around the convention and take a few photos and catch up with a few people. I did miss the going for a drink in a London pub at the end during the evening but a few of the people that were coming that I knew had dropped out for various reasons.

Thanks again to the Dragonmeet team and see you next year.

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS

Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2006-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com