An account of King "Blackmoor" of the Colymar

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:19:26 -0000

Here is an account of King "Blackmoor" of the Colymar, from the perspective of a group of Colymar traders and warriors returning to Sartar in late 1616. I hope it gives folk an idea about the sorts of changes that went on amongst the Sartarite tribes in the years following Starbrow's Rebellion:

      "We crossed the ford and visited Geo's Creek Inn. It was under new management - the new keeper was a blind man called Rock. The old manager had disappeared one night, and a place was still kept for him. Rock offered us fish chowder from Stewpot, but levied on us the fixings for the next season. The regulars were quick to bad-mouth the Lunars. We all tried to gather news, but only Korlmhy impressed people with his poetry.

       The locals called the Colymar king by the insulting nickname "Blackmoor", which had been used in the time of Arkat's trolls. But this king wasn't Leika - it was Kallai Rockbuster's son Kangharl, returned from the south with gifts and wealth. He had taken the ring of command from Leika, and defeated her supporters in the field. Nisk was unbelieving and offended, since he had been a supporter of Kangharl, and had gone into exile with him. Kagradorl had always hero-worshipped his brother. We didn't know what to think, since Kangharl had always been one of the most rabidly anti-Lunar members of the Colymar. We decided to leave as soon as possible, to find out what was really going on.

       We visited Jonstown, which had a large Lunar garrison. Jorator went to the market. Herger visited his contact at Geo's. People there weren't as openly anti-Lunar. Herger didn't get much new about Kangharl, but people were talking about the huge ritual in Boldhome, conducted by the daughter of the Red Emperor. They must have cast some horrendous curse or powerful spell - some of the sages suspect Lunar magic did Belintar in. The Tournament of Luck & Death was held, but the winner wasn't filled with Belintar's presence.

       Wilms's brother Kalarni (an apprentice at the Jonstown Library) related what happened at the moot. Kangharl had gotten the support of most of the chiefs and ousted Leika. He then reduced the tribute, in exchange for allowing the Lunars to have their law, and certain privileges. Leika asserted she was still queen, and held on to parts of the regalia. She later returned, and Kangharl forced her back out, and chased the Orlanthi priests out of Clearwine. There was now a Lunar temple inside the walls of Clearwine. Kangharl was said to have the support of Fazzur Wideread, and was given tribute by the Lismelder and Locaem, and even the Malani tribes. ............

       Apple Lane was now surrounded by a palisade. Gringle's Hall had been burnt. There was now a toll to use the road, and a Lunar garrison replaced the reeve. But we decided to stay at the Tin Inn, which was still there. It wasn't as happy as we remembered it.

       We learned more news from Bulster the Brewer, the innkeeper at the Tin Inn. The year Blackmoor seized power, the harvest in Swan Valley was poor. That Dark Season, Blackmoor agreed to the Lunar demands to end worship of Orlanth in Clearwine. Blackmoor recruited the Black Oak Brotherhood, which operated outside tribe and clan structure and weren't truly weaponthanes. Their guardian, the Black Oak, was powerful and evil.

       In Sea Season, Leika had returned and sent out the Black Arrow. The Hiording, Anmangarn, and Varmandi clans backed her. Her band was forced to retreat, and fled south. Blackmoor presented sacrifice to the Black Oak and the Seven Mothers in thanks. He outlawed Leika's supporters. The Black Oak Brotherhood went among the clans looking for them, to confiscate their property. The Anmangarn clan retreated to into the Colymar Wilds, protected by the magic of Tarndisi's Grove. The Black Oak Brotherhood burned Gringle's pawnshop, saying he was a partisan of Leika. Blackmoor authorized the construction of a Lunar temple in Clearwine and even provided tribal support. In Dark Season, the Black Oak Brotherhood raided clans and steads that had not outlawed Leika's supporters.

       As we were packing up the next morning, Apple Lane was paid a visit by a gang of thugs bearing the authority of the king. They tried to extort wealth from the innkeep, but Brenna stepped forward, comparing them to Bad King Urgrain's lackeys, pointing out that this was not legal. The thugs grew frightened of Brenna and her well-armed companions and fled

       We learned that one of the Lunar fortified settlements had been built between our land and the Ernaldori tula. The Lunars gave coins to clan members to build the settlement. It was a place of trade and tax collection. Apparently they paid more in silver than trades were worth. Yerestra said it was a place of evil. It had a garrison, and had been used as a transit place for the thralls they took when they crushed various rebellions. The place was given the name "Slave Farm" as a result.

       The Black Oak Brotherhood was known to have around 150 men, and worshipped Doburdun, a foreign storm god, led by Darsten Turnstorm (Korlmhy's father-in-law). It was he who chased the tribal priests out of Clearwine. On Lawstaff Day, Kangharl banned them. The king allowed a temple to the Seven Mothers to be built in Clearwine, and later presided over sacrifices there."