RE: Re: An account of King "Blackmoor" of the Colymar

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:24:45 -0000

> Inns such as Geo's aren't like RQ taverns. But inns, in which weary
> travelers could obtain refreshment, date back to Roman times. They
> were so commonplace in Anglo-Saxon England that in 965 King Edgar
> decreed that there should be no more than one alehouse per village.

Oh, in the RW, sure. It was in Sartar that I thought we'd gone from one extreme to the other. If not, that's fine by me.

> > > Where else do you have Lunar priests gathered close to Kethaela?
> > Surely you can move them? It just seems like a long way away, and
> in a place with no relevant magical connections.
>
> A long way away from where? The City of Wonders? Mirin's Cross or
> Glamour?

>From the ritual they're trying to affect. Which is presumably in the City of
Wonders?

> > I thought "my warband's bigger than yours" more or less covered
> the law on
> > electing a king or chief? Plus the bit about "initiated into the
> secrets of
> > Orlanth and another deity" and a crown test?
>
> Electing a king or chief, perhaps. But not removing a king or
> chief. That's always a bit more contested.:)

Checking KoS.... A clan chief: "the council and the folk, both of whom have separate ways of removing him from office, should the need arise."

Not that we're told what those ways are.

I can't find anything about removing a king. The ways of becoming one seem to echo the "how Orlanth became king" myths, so perhaps you want a myth about how Orlanth got kicked out - tricky! TR p 146, where he gets exiled, is about all I can find.

But then I take it whatever the "right" way is, Blackmor used the "my warband's bigger than yours" argument.