Bad King Urgrain?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:16:47 +0100 (CET)

Jane

>> Inns such as Geo's aren't like RQ taverns. But inns, in which weary
>> travelers could obtain refreshment, date back to Roman times. They
>> were so commonplace in Anglo-Saxon England that in 965 King Edgar
>> decreed that there should be no more than one alehouse per village.

> Oh, in the RW, sure. It was in Sartar that I thought we'd gone from one
> extreme to the other. If not, that's fine by me.

I will go with the Norwegian practice, which had the village foreman's house doubling as an inn. This was a royal privilege...

>>> Surely you can move them? It just seems like a long way away, and
>>> in a place with no relevant magical connections.

>> A long way away from where? The City of Wonders? Mirin's Cross or
>> Glamour?

>From the ritual they're trying to affect. Which is presumably in the City
>of Wonders?

The ritual is thought to be in Esrolia. Earth Season, Earth Sixth.

I see nothing wrong in Lunar priests holding a ceremony at Boldhome to support JarEel's Esrolian venture, and neither in JarEel instructing the priests before her departure to the Holy Country. I'm fairly sure she has to start in Esrolia to enter the ritual, though. HonEel intruded the Tarsh rite from somewhere in Tarsh, too.

>>> I thought "my warband's bigger than yours" more or less covered
>>> the law on electing a king or chief? Plus the bit about "initiated
>>> into the secrets of Orlanth and another deity" and a crown test?

>> Electing a king or chief, perhaps. But not removing a king or
>> chief. That's always a bit more contested.:)

> Checking KoS.... A clan chief: "the council and the folk, both of whom
> have separate ways of removing him from office, should the need arise."

> Not that we're told what those ways are.

The folk can call a moot. Not sure what the ring can do.

> I can't find anything about removing a king. The ways of becoming one seem
> to echo the "how Orlanth became king" myths, so perhaps you want a myth
> about how Orlanth got kicked out - tricky! TR p 146, where he gets exiled,
> is about all I can find.

There's always bad King Urgrain when royalty goes wrong. I can't help suspecting that Urgrain is at least an aspect of the Evil Emperor, if not the prototype.

> But then I take it whatever the "right" way is, Blackmor used the "my
> warband's bigger than yours" argument.

The Colymar have their own precedents, with Borngold vs. Barngradus. Which probably were read either way by both Leika and Blackmor.