Fan Support vs. Blackmail

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:37:42 -0500

To the Jeff Johnsons on the list (indeed, I could also address all the RUNEQUEST 1, 2 and 3 grognards in the community at large), I need make only one point clear: fan support of game companies... I'm talking about the "gotta have everything" mentality... is what separates the Wizards of the Coasts from the Avalon Hills. As a fan, if you want to see future product, you *must* buy anything and everything you can lay your hands upon. If you want material covering Culture X or Region Y, start writing it yourself and submit it for consideration. Game books like ANAXIAL'S ROSTER and THUNDER REBELS don't write themselves, and *all* game companies use freelancers extensively. It is rare that a company has enough creative energy in-house to do, in its folly, all it set out to do. In brief: contribute, or quit whining. 'Nuff said.

Apologies for the terse tone...

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_... Ann Arbor, MI USA