RE: Multiple Initiation

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:34:48 GMT

In message <20051223065514.RQWK1068.aamta10-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> about Ernalda reminds me of something. During the Windstop, only
>> the Ernaldans who view Ernalda as the wife of Orlanth lost
>> their magic, right?
>
>I believe this to be the case - IMG I insist on it being the case,
>because I'm not having gaming in the rest of the world messed up by
>one scenario. Quite why Ernalda's magic should go when it was Orlanth
>who was Dead, not her, is still beyond me, though, even in Sartar. Her
>magic doesn't derive from his.

However in Sartar she has few other husband-protectors. Perhaps she needs someone otherwise she goes to sleep causing her magic to stop functioning.

>> On Thursday 27 October 2005 8:13 pm, donald_at_... wrote:
>> > And Holay. One explanation is that in those places Vinga is not
>> > the daughter of Orlanth but some other deity. Or perhaps she's
>> > loyal to her mother rather than her father. Major Heroquests
>> > can do this sort of thing.
>>
>> Since I first encountered her, I've thought Vinga probably
>> has different myths in Esrolia. I suspect she is still Orlanth's
>> daughter (her storminess needs to come from somewhere), but
>> primarily loyal to Ernalda. If she wasn't Orlanth's daughter,
>> who else would qualify?

ISTR something about Vinga being Orlanth's sister which would imply Umath was her father. Another possibility would be Urox.

>While Vinga has wind powers, they aren't her primary function.
>Somewhere where she isn't Orlanth's daughter, she might have stolen
>them from him. Or from any other Storm deity. In fact, you could
>re-write the "Vinga proves she's Orlanth's daughter" myth into
>"Vinga tricks Orlanth into thinking he'd produced yet another
>daughter from a one-night stand and gets a Wind off him".

Which would imply Ernalda wasn't her mother.

>In Esrolia, though - I take it you're assuming one offspring per
>husband-protector? Yes, it's hard to see how Vinga could be anything
>other than the daughter of Orlanth there. Esrolia isn't culturally
>far enough away from mainstream Heortling for there to be major
>changes, I don't think. There's a difference in emphasis - Vinga is
>a worthwhile combat goddess *despite* being the daughter of Orlanth,
>not *because*. And the other goddesses will have myths in which
>Vinga's storminess and consequent unreliability are beaten by their
>more earth-related virtues.

Would the Esrolians even care who Vinga's father was? It'll be her mother who's important. Perhaps this is it, Vinga's mother was a minor goddess who's name has been forgotten - maybe killed in the gods war. One of Ernalda's husband protectors is suspected of being the father but no one's sure which. In Esrolia no one cares but in Sartar who your father is matters so Vinga has to prove it and she chooses the top god to go for.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/