RE: Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:35:45 GMT

In message <20051224010603.DQQE29634.aamta11-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> That's a pretty strong implication. Ernalda and Orlanth are joined
>> at the hip, so to say. Orlanth disappears, Ernalda mourns and goes
>> to sleep. Kind of riff on the Persephone-Demeter myth.
>
>In Sartar, yes (though ISTR she hangs around actually doing something
>useful for quite a while - she isn't just a useless parasite, you
>know!) But in other lands?

Isn't this the trouble, pretty much all the published stuff is highly sexist. It's all Orlanth did this, this happened to Orlanth, etc. We don't know what Ernalda is doing except for when it impacts on Orlanth and even then he takes the credit.

I'm trying to get my head round Ernalda's view of all this and so far I've got the following fragments:

  1. Ernalda's marriage to Orlanth was a myth shaking event. It was the first time a marriage was not arranged for the couple.
  2. "Before" that marriage Ernalda had many husband/protectors of which Orlanth was one. It may well be that they should be called lover/protectors instead.
  3. "Before" that marriage Ernalda also placed greater reliance on the various Gori as "Guardians of the Earth".
  4. In Esrolia this marriage is downplayed as being equal to the others. It has been mythically proved that it is more at some stage but there are many in Esrolia who don't accept that and would HQ to change it.
  5. It is the special nature of this marriage that has made Ernalda vunerable to Orlanth's fate.
  6. Tarsh is a big problem, to what extent can the Lunar priestess's compensate for Ernalda sleeping? Probably where Hon-Eel has persuaded them to grow Maize they are OK. Those who still follow Ernalda are going to suffer.
  7. Many of the other events that cause Orlanth's death and Ernalda's sleep are primarily related to the earth - I'm sure one of them involves the Maran Gori at Wintertop.

So basically we've got half the story - the Storm half and we're missing the Earth half.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/