Re: Musical Names

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:49:20 GMT

In message <200512232122.47004.light_castle_at_...> Lightcastle writes:

>Argan Argar is the only Husband-Protector named, and is for "Petty Noble
>(men)", I presume the other Husband protectors also makes sense for that.
>(Mind you, I don't know who they are. I have always assumed they roughly
>match the factions, but I'm not sure what those are, either.)

Just about all the male gods - Elmal, Yelmalio, Urox, Heler, Yinkin, maybe Issaries, Lhankor Mhy and possibly in Esrolia Humakt. In Sartar it allows just about anyone to marry an Ernaldan and be mythologically correct.

>Interestingly, I notice that Esrola herself is nowhere to be found
>(Esra is recommended as the farmer goddess). Oddly, Babeester Gor
>is placed as the woman warrior cult, and Humakt as the male. Maybe
>because warriors are rare in the society, they tend to be extremist
>cults? There are also Voudisea the Lance Goddess and Epikhor the
>Librarian who I don't know. (Epikhor seems to be a subcult of Lankhor
>Mhy, though.)

Humakt and Babeester Gor are warrior cults, most of the fighters in Esrolia are soldiers following Vinga or Voudisea. Then there are the male levies but if they've got a god to follow it'll be something strange.

>Mind you, I have always taken the homelands as incomplete in such
>matters (they are but 2 pages, after all), but I do think they are
>supposed to be the common selections of those roles. (Which means
>your typical Esrolian PC warrior woman is going to be worshipping
>Babeester Gor. Maybe she is calmer in Esrolia than in Sartar?)

No, she'll follow Vinga but with soldier rather than warrior as occupation keyword. I think the selections are common adventurer's roles rather than an indication of how common those types are in society. Babeester Gor is more common in Esrolia than Sartar but she's still a fanatic.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/