Re: Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:57:06 -0500

Charles espouses what I think might be the "canonical" reasoning.

On Saturday 24 December 2005 4:16 am, Charles Corrigan wrote:

> My take on this is that in Myth, when Orlanth died (or in other words
> went to the Underworld on the Lightbringers Quest), Ernalda also died.
> I assume (but I do not know) that the Esrolians myths also agree on
> this, because the Esrolians split from the Heortlings during and after
> the Sword and Helm Wars - which is mythicly "after" the start of the
> LBQ. So in Esrolian myth there is probably agreement that Orlanth was
> Ernalda's premier husband until he died and his sons and grandsons
> were not up to the same stature as their forefather and so lost the
> right to lead in Esrolia.

I think, mythically, the idea is that the Esrolians look to the Orlanth in Exile period of temporary husbands. That gives them the many husbands approach without deviating them from the main Heortling myth cycle.

I had thought they DID deviate much further from the Heortling myths, but it would seem not to be the case.

LC