RE: Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:54:42 -0000

> > No, it isn't OK, not unless you have players who do exactly what
> they're
> > told and follow the arrows in the sky labelled "plot this way".
> (And if you have such players, you have my sympathy.)
>
> Lots of classic scenarios don't tell you precisely what is going on -
> best example offhand is the Cradle Scenario where lots of things
> are happening that are not explained

Yes - that's why it's such hassle to run unless you have those imagination-free players we mentioned.

> It is perfectly ok for the GM to be in the dark at
> times - sometimes even preferable.

How can it possibly be *preferable* for the GM to be denied the information they need to respond to the players actions? Unavoidable at times, yes, but preferable???

> > Orlanth and Ernalda can't be
> > contacted? Better fix that, then. What HQ shall we do? Anyone know
> a good
> > myth? Hmm, nothing obvious - OK, our PCs had better "remember" one
> then (ie.
> > the players and GM jointly write one). And off we go - and if the
> GM doesn't
> > know exactly what's really happened, mythically, they're sunk.
>
> Here's an easier answer - it fails.

Probably, yes. But in what way does it fail? That's most of the game, after all - interesting ways in which the PCs fail, and what they do about the consequences.

> Until Iceland, the traditional
> Orlanthi myths, heroquests, and everything else just doesn't work.

"just doesn't work" is not a useful description.

> Unless you are playing Kallyr and her ring.

That's roughly the level I'd be bringing the players in at, yes. Probably not cooperating with her, since too many of the group can't stand her, but at that sort of level. The PCs themselves aren't quite that high-statted, but NPCs they influence are.

> > > Are you saying Demeter was a useless parasite?
> > Not while up top doing stuff, no. But responding to the loss of a
> loved one
> > by burying her head in the sand and ignoring all her own
> responsibilities - not impressed. Not at all.

> I don't think Demeter needs to impress us.:)

It may not have been her top priority, no.

> However, given that
> the mysteries of Demeter were perhaps the most significant cultic
> mysteries in the Greek world, maybe she is more impressive than you
> think.

Presumably there's more to her story than the simple version we get taught at school.

> Or perhaps Jesus Christ an unimpressive figure because he
> went passively to the Cross?

This is probably not a good subject for discussion, since I'd guess there are people on the list who do indeed find him impressive.

>> But Harmast did produce new ways of doing the LBQ, Arkat did change

> the cult of Humakt.
>
> Not as much as many people seem to think. Arkat might not have
> changed the cult of Humakt at all - Makla Mann seems to have been a
> more significant definer of Humakt.

And he was a follower of Arkat.

> Harmast did not produce new
> ways of doing the LBQ - he showed people that mortals could do it.

Didn't he find easier alternatives to some of the stations?

> > > The God Learners never understood Orlanthi mythology
> > Well, they'd only read the RQ2 material, not the HW books :)
> That's exactly right.

In your Glorantha, too?