Re: Esrolian warrior occupations

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 00:49:48 GMT

In message <200512241251.27605.light_castle_at_...> Lightcastle writes:

>>In Sartar it allows just about anyone to marry an Ernaldan and
>>be mythologically correct.
>
>Wait... so if someone is from a non-Ernaldan cult that is known
>mythically to marry a specific god (I don't know, I think there is
>an Elmali subcult like this, off the top of my head) then if they
>don't marry someone from that cult, they are mythically incorrect?
>That can't be right, can it?

You're thinking of Elmal marrying Redalda. Now if a Redaldan marries a Helering it is mythically incorrect and there will be problems for them taking the roles on the Hero Plane. Has this a practical implication? Probably not much for the average initiate, how often are they going on the HP and emulating their god in more than a general way? In a rules sense I'd regard it as a penalty on their "Initiate of God" ability because they aren't acting as their god did. PCs of course use this much more than the average Sartarite.

In any case this problem is going to be rare because 86% of Sartarites are followers of Orlanth or Ernalda so we're getting down to minorities of minorities. The Redaldan is almost certainly going to be inclined to marry either an Elmali (shared interests) or an Orlanthi. Just as Ernalda has multiple husband/protectors Orlanth has many lovers and I'm sure one of them was Redalda.

>As long as Farmer is in every homeland, I have trouble thinking
>they are supposed to represent adventurer's roles.

All right, sources of adventurers rather than actual roles.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/