Re: The Missionaries

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:59:57 -0800

Jane

>There's an interesting hint at the extent to which Gloranthans use magic
>where we'd use basic common sense. "when the Hagolings learned the Elmal
>Verses so they could find ripe fruit in summer and autumn" - ever thought of
>looking on the trees, guys?

Common sense to you perhaps because your ancestors have been doing it.

But did you know that your ancestors (assuming they lived in the British Isles) didn't think to look in the ocean for fish? Oceanic fishing was ignored for a large period of habitation (based on analyzing middens). [I'm afraid I took that anthropology class something like 18 years ago so I can't provide the specifics quickly.]

Remember that the events in this story took place after the Great Darkness. People had lost almost everything. And now the entire world is open to them again.

(Apparently the wine cork was lost during Europe's Dark Ages, which were arguably less severe than the Great Darkness. And was it the Patagonians who lost almost all their technology?)

And don't forget that a lot of stuff people now eat is poisonous. Look at manioc -- you need to process it by blanching it. Twice.

--

David Dunham