Re: Digest Number 2338

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:26:47 -0800 (PST)

> From: "nichughes2001" <nicolas.h_at_...>

>> This process is one of seeking and emphasising similarities in culture
>> and ignoring parts that are different. In the end you are left with a
>> widely distributed Theyalan culture that has effectively wiped out
>> many of the more divergent cultural values and practices.
>>

> It clearly seems to supercede the previous values and practices but it
> is not so clear that they are lost.

They were not really lost int he story, either. The Hagolings are Lokamayadon's clan. Four hundred years later we ill see him heading up a large bodey of Orlanthi who are not Heortlings and are in opposition to them.
One of the big differences is in their respective "How We Survivied the Darkness" stories, which are key to their self identification. Because, of course, the Heortlings all share the story of Heort and Second Son, while none of the other people they later discover do.

> The article prompted me to start work on writeup of a widespread
> network of ordinary people who keep these old traditions going through
> collecting and telling folktales, operating as a dispersed heroband.

I don't think that such a formal organization would be required. People will simply tell those stories.

YGWV.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.