Re: The Missionaries

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:29:31 -0800 (PST)

nichughes2001" <nicolas.h_at_...>
> The people would retain folk tales, local habits and
> the ways of their ancestors. The place to look for
> these remnants in the 3rd age would probably be in the
> common magic religions of the region and in the folk
> tales told to children and largely disregarded by the
> powerful and pious. Some of these lessons will suddenly
> prove valuable again when Whitewall falls.

No, they will be useless. The Missionaries describes a visit to the Talastari, who are all within the modern Glowline, and beyond the magic-killing effects of the Windstop (except for some wandering individuals, of course).

The affected Heortlings will have kept some minor survival secrets, but they never had to learn to eat grass, or cockroaches fed in the cemeteries on their own dead, or furtive cannibalism, or any of the other nasty tricks used by the Talastari (all examples were from RW, BTW) to survive, as they were TOO successful in the Darkness to need them. Thus, they could be screwed by their own original success - probably what any Solars who knew that their WOULD be a FimbulWinter wanted, to bring them so low that they would convert to the Goddess wholesale (the more fools, them!).

I assume that the werewolfing tricks of the Hidden Kings of the Vingkotlings were lost. I also assume that if they actually DID eat cockroaches fed on their own dead, they bought them from legitimate AA merchants, and they were fed on some other stead's dead, so that there is plausible deniability.

> The article prompted me to start work on writeup of a
> widespread network of ordinary people who keep these old
> traditions going through collecting and telling folktales,
> operating as a dispersed heroband.

Sounds like either the Talastari LM equivalents, or maybe even Buserians, tracking their own reports of contacting barbarians and teaching them Star Lore during the Grey Age. Also, possibly the Lunar College of Magic, mapping the Hero and God Planes in fine detail.

Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/