Build Your Own Heroband

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:18:13 +0000

The players in my group are starting to think about setting up a Hero Band - I suspect they'll try and do it when we meet up this Friday. I've got a fair idea of how I'm going to do it, but I'm wondering how other groups have handled this critical step. They haven't met much in the way of good candidates for a guardian yet (this will only be our third adventure), so its a case of going out and finding one. Gathering Thunder p.8-9 gives a pretty good idea of how Heortlings do this, but my group are Lunars, so there will obviously be differences there!

So, what sort of things should they be sacrificing (or would they do something else, since Lunars aren't theists)? It will take place, I assume, in a temple, the Lunars being civilised chaps, and at night, when there's plenty of moonlight. I'm thinking of having seven potential guardians coming forward, but defining them only vaguely - after all, the players need to decide the precise abilities and so forth, after they've chosen it. So, there'll be one that emphasises combat, one the links with their homeland, one Lunar philosophy, and so forth. The idea is to give them a focus for what they want their hero band to do - something they don't appear to have really decided yet - but not to restrict them as to the nature of the guardian or its powers.

I'll report on how it works out, after I've done it, but how did other people do it? What sorts of player hero bands are out there? Has anyone had difficulty interesting their players in forming a hero band? What worked or didn't work? Discuss :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic