Re: Afghans and Orlanthi

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:59:22 -0000

I really ought not to rise to the bait, but sadly can't (not least for this reason) but I much appreciated Erik's parallel. As Charles has noted, Kallyr herself will face resistance from traditionalists. Just because the Orlanthi have Vingans, that's not necessarily significant. Afghan women are hardly shrinking violets -- Soviet prisoners were often 'entusted' to them for the skin-peeling tortures -- but are undoubtedly considered inferior and even chattel.

(And Nandan may be present within the Orlanthi mythos but Nandanis are hardly a common sight, and nor I imagine especially well-regarded.)

The irony is, after all, that whatever the reasons for their invasion and whatever the obvious atricities and blunders of their occupation, the Lunars really do offer a much more equal role for women...

All the best

Mark